Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Inpatient (Again)

Look where we are! The hospital! Again! River six, but a new room! Yay! Job just wanted to extend his tour of every room in the surgical unit and wanted a head start before surgery.
I'm giving up trying to get a good photo this morning...
Job was admitted yesterday with his lowest oxygen saturations yet. Sunday was a pretty rough day, with four episodes of emesis and declining sats. We deliberated about what to do, but he surprised us with an amazing night. We were hopeful he could make it through Monday, but he was satting around 68 (% of blood oxygenation) so Seth took him to the ER. We have been watching his heart function decline. His decreasing sats and increased cyanosis was expected. We just hoped he would make it through this week at home.

Job is, unexpectedly, responding to oxygen support. He needs his Glenn because his Sano shunt (placed as part of his Norwood at five days old) is too small for his now bigger body. What limited blood flow he is getting to his lungs is now being fully oxygenated and he's now satting in the high 70s with his cannula!!

We were supposed to have a 7-8hr pre-op appointment today but we're now doing all of his pre-op inpatient. We expect to meet with his surgeon today as well as a NP and anesthesiologist to give consent for his surgery.

I was really frustrated and disappointed yesterday, but today has been better. I think it will be hard to wait here in the hospital until Friday without the distractions of life at home. Job doesn't like his hospital bed either, but he looks so much better on oxygen that I'm very grateful we have that option. We had been so skeptical he'd make it through the week, but seeing him decline so sharply Sunday and Monday "helps" me be grateful for the opportunity to be here. Again.

It's amazing how quickly I forget to be grateful and instead focus on my discontentment. We have been given so very much, yet I still want more. And perhaps most of all, I want it on my timeline. This long journey with Job will, I'm sure (and I hope), be a very sanctifying one.

No comments:

Post a Comment