Thursday, March 16, 2017

Swimming and Hem Labs

Job got to go swimming for the first time in a pool today! And by "swim" I mean I held him and dipped his toes while his brothers swam.

Image may contain: 1 person, baby

We came up to Seattle Children's for our third attempt at a blood draw for his hematology panel regarding his hypercoagulation issue... But again it didn't happen. Actually the first two times he did get draws but the first time they didn't get enough volume for someone who has been on Lovenox as long as he has and the second time the sample thawed before it was transported to the lab at UW.

This has been so frustrating! But, in our eleven and counting months at SCH, they haven't even made one mistake, so to mess this up three times is very notable but perhaps tolerable. I really have been so impressed with the incredible quality of care and attention to detail at SCH - far, far beyond what I have ever experienced at any other organization. Maybe this is the exception that proves that rule?

ETA: I forgot to say why it's a big deal for Job to be in the water! Until about December Job HATED water!! He didn't touch any water until he was about three months old and then, when we tried to get him wet he screamed and screamed and screamed. I'm sure it didn't help that I just plopped him in the sink for his first time without any thought to it, like I would have one of my other kids, traumatizing him. But it's been long process of gradually reintroducing him to water in less threatening ways. OT gave us lots of helpful suggestions, but it's also just taken months. So, this felt like a triumph of hard work.

No comments:

Post a Comment